[Coral-List] live coral cover estimates

Venetia Hargreaves-Allen mmamanagerquestionnaire at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 09:11:58 EDT 2008

Dear colleagues,

I was hoping to glean some information from the invaluable numbers
of researchers on coral list.  I am trying to get historical live coral
cover estimates for the following coral reef MPAs (see below), as near as
possible or later than to historical date and as close to the present date
where present date is needed.

These could be from either: monitoring, one-off studies or expert opinion.  If
anyone can provide any estimates, please could you email me at
vah03 at ic.ac.uk, with the estimates *and* the source of this data e.g. expert
opinion/ study?  I realise that especially for large areas, these will
always be average estimates with large standard errors.

MPA name

Country

Year needed

present needed

Gladden Spit Marine Reserve

Belize

2000

yes

Lauging bird caye NP

Belize

1996

yes

Sian Ka'an Biosphere reserve

Mexico

1986

Gulf of Manai Marine National Park

India

1986

Rock Islands and Southern Lagoon area

Palau

1990

yes

Port Honduras Marine reserve

Belize

2000

yes

Bonaire Marine Park

Nether Antilles

1979

Sapodilla Cayes

Belize

1996

Santuario de fauna y Flora Malpelo

Columbia

1995

Hanauma Bay Nature Reserve

Hawaii

1940

yes

Sugud Islands Marine Coservation Area

Malaysia

2001

Galapagos

Ecuador

1968

yes

Blue Hole

Belize

1996

Half moon caye

Belize

1982

Caye Caulker

Belize

1998

Ras Mohammed NP

Egypt

1983

Great barrier reef

Australia

1975

yes

Corumbau Marine extractive reserve

Brazil

2000

yes

Nguna-Pele MPA

Vanuatu

2003

Sandy Island Marine Park

Anguilla

1993

Shoal Bay Island Harbour Marine Park

Anguilla

1993

Pricky Pear marine park

Anguilla

1993

Aldabra

Seychelles

1982

Waialea bay marine life conserv district

Hawaii

1985

Mu Koh Chang National Park

Thailand

1982

Bacalar Chico National Park

Belize

1996

yes

Hambongan, Inabanga, Bohol

Philippines

1997

Isla de Mona Natural reserve

Puerto Rico

1986

McBean Lagoon

Columbia

1995

yes

Virgin Islands coral reef nat monument

Virgin Islands

2001

Tioman Island

Malaysia

1994

Many many thanks in advance for your help,

Venetia

--
Venetia Hargreaves-Allen (MSc, MA Oxon)
PhD Researcher