[Coral-List] Palythoa overgrowing corals in Todos os Santos Bay, Brazil

Elizabeth Neves elizabeth.neves at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 21:24:03 EDT 2008

Dear friends,

Concerning the question involving *Palythoa caribaeorum* predators along the
Brazilian littoral: besides the fireworm Hermodice (as supported by our
colleague Dr. Igor Cruz), a hawksbill turtle has been also observed feeding
on *P. caribaeorum. *The* *action was reported in São Paulo State,
southeastern section of the coast, by Dr. Sergio Stampar and collaborators.
Full information is available in 'Marine Turtle Newsletter' no. 117, 2007 -
Predation on the zoanthid Palythoa caribaeorum (Anthozoa, Cnidaria) by a
hawksbill turtle (Ertmochelys imbricata) in Southeastern Brazil. To whom it
may interest, contact the author for reprint (or PDF)stampar at ib.usp.br

Sincerely.
Beth
2008/3/11 Igor Cruz <igorcruz at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Igor Cruz. I'm Brazilian and I've seen Palythoa caribaerum
> overgrow in some reefs from Todos os Santos Bay, when I'm doing my Master
> Thesis. But here, its cover isn't more that 15%. Although, there is other
> Zoanthid of the genera Epzoanthus that showed a great cover in two sites
> 60%
> and 82% in 2007. In the site Poste 1 the cover was 43% in 2003 and after
> four yeas the cover was 82%.
>
> I've seen the fireworm Hermodice eat both and some corals to.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Igor Cruz – Biólogo
>
> **Grupo de Pesquisa em Recifes de Corais e Mudanças Globais
> Instituto de Geociências - Universidade Federal da Bahia
> Rua Barão de Geremoabo, s/n – Federação
> CEP 40170-290 - Salvador - Bahia
>
> Programa de Pós-graduação em Ecologia e Biomonitoramento
> Instituto de Biologia - Universidade Federal da Bahia
> *Rua Barão de Geremoabo s/n *- *Campus Universitário de Ondina*
> *CEP 40170-290 Salvador-Bahia.*

Elizabeth G. Neves (Ph.D)
Universidade Federal da Bahia
LABIMAR: Laboratório de Invertebrados Marinhos
(Crustacea, Cnidaria e Fauna Associada)
Salvador, BA - BRASIL