[Coral-List] Coral Reef Restoration?

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Fri May 2 12:36:17 EDT 2008

Hi All,

As a note on this, Reef Ball Foundation takes the stand there is no such a
thing as Coral Restoration however their is very definately coral
rehabilitation and to be more specific protective void space mitigation.

And, there are new technologies that are getting us even closer to coral
restoration.  In large project we are currently involved in the
Caribbean...we have been able to use an advanced GIS system to photo
document each and every coral in a mitigation project.  Using this analysis
to guide rehabilitation efforts, we'll be able to move corals out of harms
way and replant them (also using new advanced methods of stress free
movement and anchoring) to preserve as nearly as possible the original
ecosystem.  Working in real time (24 hour lag) in the GIS system, scientist
from around the world can examine any coral we are working in a project
documented with the system, make notes or comments on specific treatments
recommeded and communicate them to field teams doing the work.  This type of
worldwide collaberation on Coral Rehabiltation is the future to link all of
us in this communty to each other on real projects so that we can all
contribute our specialized talents to actually save corals.

We'll have a live model of this new system at ICRS if anyone wants to track
me down for a look at how it works.  It is based on Google Earth and hosted
web photos so just about all of us already have the software we need to
contribute.

Thanks,

Todd R. Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation