[Coral-List] White spined diadema

John Ware jware at erols.com
Fri May 9 13:06:31 EDT 2008

Stuart,

I was hoping that someone who had firm knowledge would respond, because
my memory is old and feeble.  Some 15 or 20 years ago I read a paper
(which I cannot recall or find) that stated that the white-spined D.a.
were more often found in low visibility environments.  At least that is
my recollection.

John

Stuart P. Wynne wrote:

>Dear all,
>

>I have been trying to find references to the white spined Diadema
>antillarum that I sometimes see in our waters here in Anguilla. As I am
>not privy to open access (but please let us not get onto that subject
>again!) I have been struggling to find any mention of the causes for
>this, only the fact that it is a fairly common thing to see. I guess it
>is a lack of pigment? As all such individuals I've seen here are large,
>could it be something that signifies they are reaching old age? Does it
>indicate a lack of something in their diet? Pollution/eutrophication? If
>anyone has any ideas/knowledge I would love to learn.
>

>On a separate note I would like to send out a big thank you to the three
>people who posted on the coral-list vol 59 issue 6. For the first time
>since I have been a member I did not have to wade through endless reams
>of old postings (that had been left tagged to the bottom of their entry)
>while trying to figure out which messages were the new messages. Well
>done! Maybe we can keep this up?
>

>Stuart Wynne
>Marine Biologist
>Department of Fisheries and Marine Resources
>Anguilla
>

>Government of Anguilla

    *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
    *                         President                         *
    *                      SeaServices, Inc.                    *
    *                   19572 Club House Road                   *
    *             Montgomery Village, MD, 20886, USA            *
    *                       301 987-8507                        *
    *                      jware at erols.com                      *
    *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
    *                     fax: 301 987-8531                     *
    *             Treasurer and Member of the Council:          *
    *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
    *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *