[Coral-List] White-spined Diadema antillarum

Barbara Whitman terramar at caribcable.com
Mon May 12 11:34:52 EDT 2008

I have had individuals in my aquariums that were originally all black-spined
but did end up with some white spines.  My aquariums are directly linked to
the Caribbean and sometimes during a surge they bring in fine sediments so
perhaps that had something to do with it..  I have also had small Diadema
which were all black. The black coloring does come off the spines sometimes
if you touch them - which unfortunately I do fairly often when cleaning the
tanks. I have not noticed a difference in their coloring between day and
night and when the water is clean opposed to when there are fine sediments
making the water more murky but I will pay more attention now.

Barb Whitman
Under the Sea Sealife Education Centre
Nevis, West Indies