[Coral-List] Coral bleaching in the western pacific warm pool.

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Mon May 12 11:51:40 EDT 2008

You should look at a recent paper by Kleypas et al. on this subject:

Kleypas, Joan A., Gokhan Danabasoglu, and Janice M. Lough (2008)
Potential role of the ocean thermostat in determining regional
differences in coral reef bleaching events. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH
LETTERS, VOL. 35, L03613, doi:10.1029/2007GL032257.

Cheers,
Mark

On May 7, 2008, at 5:24 PM, Ruben van Hooidonk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During research on thermal coral bleaching in the western pacific
> warm pool,
> I noticed that observations of coral bleaching in that region are very
> limited in the reefbase.org database. I would like to know if
> anyone knows
> of any bleaching episodes not recorded in that database.
>
> You can see the location of the warm pool here:
> http://roskilde.eas.purdue.edu/~ruben/wpwp.jpg
>
> If you know of any observations of bleaching in that region, please to
> submit your data on the form that can be found here:
> http://roskilde.eas.purdue.edu/~ruben/bleaching_in_WPWP.php
>
> Thank you very much for your help, and if you have any questions or
> remarks
> please ask me directly,
>
> Ruben van Hooidonk
> Purdue University

------------------------
C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5308
1335 East West Highway
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x109                   Fax: 301-713-3136