[Coral-List] Coral restoration

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Fri May 16 15:48:34 EDT 2008

Hi David,

First, let me say that artificial reef technology is definately getting
better with the introduction of coral propagation/ re-planting, more stable
and enviornmentally friendly materials and continued scientific development
to allow specific applicaitons for specific goals...but that said, I
seriously doubt the technology will every be able to replace all the exact
functions of a natural reef.  So, conserving our reefs has to be the highest
priority.

That all said, there is a point of practicality that must be pointed out.
Let's just assume for one second that there were no options for artificial
reefs, mitigation, or other offsets for development...do you really think
all development is going to stop?  I don't think developers are purposefully
killing reefs....there is going to be damage in nearly any developmental
strategies to...and you make good points that some damages should clearly be
avoided when it comes to reefs.  However, for whatever reasons...good or
bad....if the development IS going to occur then we are all obligated to use
our best management tools....be that artificial reefs, other forms of
mitigation...crafty engineering...whatever works best....to try to offset
that damage.

I enjoyed your comments....very insightful.

Thanks,

Todd R. Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
www.reefball.org