[Coral-List] White-spined Diadema antillarum

Esther Peters esther.peters at verizon.net
Sun May 18 12:28:58 EDT 2008

I recall seeing large white-spined /Diadema antillarum/ in shallow water
at The Indians, rock outcroppings in the British Virgin Islands.  I was
pregnant then, so could only snorkel, in 1988.  I remember thinking they
must not have been affected by the mass motality because they were so
large.  They might have been able to stay in the shade of the outcroppings.

If one does a Google Scholar search on these key words "sea urchin
melanin epidermis" one finds all kinds of interesting papers on and
references to melanin production in the epidermis and effects of light
and diet on pigmentation in these animals.  But more studies are needed!

Esther Peters, Ph.D.
George Mason University