[Coral-List] Coral restoration

Phelan, Joe J Joe.Phelan at mottmac.com
Mon May 19 10:02:35 EDT 2008

I agree largely with David's assessment of artifical reefs as a
frequently abused 'quick fix'. I would argue that the biggest issue
facing areas of rapid coastal development such as the Eastern Arabian
Gulf coast is the cumulative impact of these projects. The solution is
strategic environmental assessment and integrated coastal zone
management at the national and regional level.

Much of the mitigation measures implimented to offset destruction of
existing reef areas in the Eastern Arab Gulf involve hard landscaping of
an other wise sand dominated substrate which provide hard substrate on
which reefs may establish. However the recovery of reefs in this region
is increasingly unlikely to be driven by lack of suitable habitat for
reefs to establish but by a lack of source reef to drive that
regeneration process.

By this I mean the loss of;

1. seeding reefs that will supply larvae to suitable habitats (source
and sink areas)

2. the physical processes that convey these recruits.

Certain developments act as effective barriers to near-shore drift
currents vital for intertidal and shallow benthic larval transport,
effectively negating mitigation measures designed on a project by
project basis down stream of larval sources.

Due to the complexity and variation in scale over which marine
ecosystems function, the solution to sustainable coastal development
requires a strategic level approach, which for a rapidly developing
coastline is easier said than done.

Joe Phelan
BSc PhD
Environmental Scientist
Mott Macdonald
Abu Dhabi
tel +971 (0) 2 4457 470
tel +971 (0) 2 6262 966 Ext. 855

This message is from Mott MacDonald Limited, registered in England
number 1243967.
Registered office: St Anne House, 20-26 Wellesley Road, Croydon, Surrey,
CR9 2UL, England