[Coral-List] photoshop trick for sat imagery

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Tue May 20 09:04:35 EDT 2008

Yep....it's a great technique......you can then take the pictures into
Google Earth and "georeference" them as overlays....you can use the Google
Earth transparency settings to manipulate views of additional layers.  You
can even then draw them as paths or mark then with GPS coordinates and
transfer directly to field GPSs for using during monitoring.

We have found the technique very useful when trying to do comprehensive reef
survey work over large areas especially when reefs are not well documented.
Very helpful for would be planners to help avoid these areas when
development is being considered.

One IMPORTANT thing to note from our experiance is that identified points
should be ground truthed....there is a tendency for false positives due to
the occasional cloud on a sunny day, wave shadow...or often a patch of rocky
outcropping that does not have corals (like newly exposed hard bottom after
storms).  With a little skill you can usually differentiate between sea
grasses and reefs but it depends on resolution and color depth of original
photos.

Note to build an even better system....in Google also overlay navigational
charts, bathemetric lines, and any other available information that can be
accurately georeferenced.  You can turn them on or off at will or make them
semi-transparent and really start to develop an accurate understanding of
what your photos are indicating.

For Google...you can also link any specific point to a web page.  That means
when you ground truth...take an underwater photo then capture the GPS point
and later upload the image to the web.  Within Google just link that point
to that photo and as you are looking at overhead images you can then "zoom
in" to underwater shots of same location.  Multiple links over time are
supported so nice for long term monitoring work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Todd R. Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation