[Coral-List] sunscreen

Alex Brylske brylske at aol.com
Mon May 26 15:05:04 EDT 2008

Several weeks ago there was a post about the potential effects of
sunscreen on coral reefs, and some of those who responded said,
essentially, that this was too trivial a matter to warrant any real
discussion. Thus, the issue was dropped. I’m wondering if any of you
have seen the recent article, “Sunscreens Cause Coral Bleaching by
Promoting Viral Infections,” in the April 2008 issue of Environmental
Health Perspectives (116:4). In case you haven’t here’s a link: www.ehponline.org/docs/2008/10966/abstract.html

While the article seems to raise the issue to a level warranting some
concern, as someone in the marine/dive tourism sector, I’m mainly
interested in practical solutions. Therefore, I’m wondering if the few
coral reef destinations that require supposedly “environmentally-
friendly” sunscreens—typically meaning that they’re "oil-free," "PABA-
free," biodegradable or otherwise made from natural ingredients—are
making valid recommendations?

I realize in that in light of stressors such climate change,
acidification, eutrophication and overfishing, tourism doesn’t
typically get much attention. However, I’m reminded of the kid
throwing starfish back into the sea after a storm. It seems foolish
not to do what we can when we can.

I’d appreciate the group’s perspective so that we can provide a
balanced, science-based view to our readers.

Alex

Alex Brylske, Senior Editor
DIVE TRAINING magazine

Address: