[Coral-List] sunscreen

Boland, Gregory Gregory.Boland at mms.gov
Tue May 27 11:39:16 EDT 2008

 These alerts seem to continue with absolutely no direct evidence as
indicated in titles.  This one is a perfect example, "Sunscreens Cause
Coral Bleaching by Promoting Viral Infections" is simply unsupported by
the research described in the paper.  The paper's conclusions directly
implied in situ impacts by saying "up to 10% of the world (sic)
reefs is potentially threatened by sunscreen induced coral bleaching."
and "Actions are therefore needed to stimulate the research and
utilization of UV filters that do not threaten the survival."  There is
a big difference from exposing corals to sunscreen in a 2 liter plastic
bag (as was done for this paper) and demonstrating impacts to coral in
the real world.  Open water has a bit more than 2 liters of volume.  At
best, "potential" can be claimed, but nothing more without some evidence
of actual impacts in open water.

This is the same unsupported extrapolation that occurred with the
bacteria transferred on wet suits reports in the past.  Wetsuits were
inoculated with bacteria cultures and then dried.  Finding bacteria on
them later somehow demonstrated divers are contaminating reefs by moving
from diseased areas to other areas.  There were even suggestions of
closing reefs based on the results that had nothing to do with the
transfer of pathogens from a wet suit to corals in open water on a reef.
Potential; maybe, evidence; none.

Greg Boland