[Coral-List] FATE OF CORAL REEFS - ONLINE

Andrew Baird andrew.baird at jcu.edu.au
Wed May 28 07:30:28 EDT 2008

Dear Corallist

Around Australia and the world, citizens are invited to view a new online series of seminars on coral reef futures sponsored by the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies as part of its contribution to the International Year of the Reef 2008 (IYOR 08).

Topics covered by the online seminars include:
•	The latest science on coral bleaching
•	The rising plague of coral disease
•	Coral reefs under climate change
•	Managing resilience of coral reefs
•	The risks of ocean acidification
•	Protecting sea water quality from activity on land
•	Are the new no-take ‘green zones’ on the Great Barrier Reef effective?
•	Can fish stocks on the Great Barrier Reef be replenished?
•	The threat to reef sharks and other top predators
•	Tracking Nemo – studies on how coral fish larvae disperse.
•	Are coral reefs an effective barrier against tsunami attack?

The ARC Centre's Director Terry Hughes says “Our on-line seminar series for the International Year of the Reef is designed to deliver scientific outcomes to the community in an informative and useful way, so we can all make better decisions about how we care for our great natural assets.”

NOTE: to view presentations go to:
http://www.coralcoe.org.au/events/webseminar/iyorwebseminar.html