[Coral-List] Digital Photo-monitoring

G.P. Schmahl george.schmahl at noaa.gov
Fri May 30 17:28:42 EDT 2008

We have a long term monitoring program of coral communities at Stetson
Bank in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico where we have photographed
permanently marked locations annually since 1993.  Historically we used
a Nikonos camera with 15mm lens at a distance of one meter from the
substrate.  We are now trying to replicate the same field of view using
a lightweight digital camera.  Has anyone had this or a similar issue,
and can advise on appropriate equipment?

The use of a housed digital SLR is problematic due to the large size and
weight.  (The camera is attached to a framer bar, dual strobes and
camera mount, which is quite clumsy to swim with.)  I would prefer a
housed high quality point and shoot camera.

We have tested a Nikon Coolpix P5000 in an Ikelite housing with the
wide-angle adapter.  The photos come close to matching the Nikonos field
of view (if you move it 20 cm farther away from the substrate), but
there is noticeable edge distortion.  I can send a sample photo
comparison if anyone is interested.

Can anyone recommend a digital system that will replicate a Nikonos
w/15mm lens?  I would be interested in digital SLR/lens combinations as
well if anyone has worked that out.  Thanks.  GP
--

George (G.P.) Schmahl

Sanctuary Superintendent

Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary

4700 Avenue U, Building 216

Galveston, TX  77551

(409) 621-5151 ext. 102

(409) 621-1316 (fax)