[Coral-List] Digital Photo-monitoring

Dave Zawada dzawada at usgs.gov
Sat May 31 13:20:09 EDT 2008

GP,

It is highly unlikely you'll be able to replicate the quality and
field-of-view of a Nikonos image taken with a 15-mm lens using a point-
and-shoot camera.  The Nikonos camera uses 35-mm film which has an
active imaging area of 24 x 36 mm.  Point-and-shoot cameras commonly
use 1/3"-format CCD or CMOS chips which are 3.6 x 4.8 mm.  This
significant difference in form-factor requires that light rays be more
aggressively bent for a point-and-shoot camera to have the same field-
of-view as a 35-mm camera at the same imaging distance.  For a 35-mm
camera, a 15-mm lens is very wide angle, which corresponds to an even
wider angle lens in a point-and-shoot format.  Hence, the barrel
distortion in your images.  A telecentric lens or some custom optics
may alleviate the problem, but would require a larger housing and
greater expense.

The good news is that digital images are easily corrected for barrel
distortion.  You will need to create a grid and take a picture of it
from your typical imaging distance.  The basic idea is to establish a
correspondence between the locations of grid points on the printed
target and in the digital image.  With a little linear algebra, you
can define a transformation matrix to remove the barrel distortion.
You only have to create one transformation matrix per imaging distance.

For details, see

Zawada, D.G.
Image processing of underwater multispectral imagery
(2003) IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 28 (4), pp. 583-594.
doi: 10.1109/JOE.2003.819157

and

Green, William B., Jepsen, Paul L., Kreznar, John E., Ruiz, Reuben,
Schwartz, Arnold A., Seidman, Joel B.
REMOVAL OF INSTRUMENT SIGNATURE FROM MARINER 9 TELEVISION IMAGES OF
MARS.
(1975) Applied Optics, 14 (1), pp. 105-114.

Best,

Dave