[Coral-List] Post for input from coral-list members concerningeducation, outreach, and coral reef decline in Florida

ENGMAN, JAMES ENGMANJ at hsu.edu
Tue Nov 25 17:43:48 EST 2008

Brian,

I don't have any information on Florida's specific political or
educational situation, but I do think that your student's observation
points out an important shortfall in communicating with the public,
something that to an extent was an issue considered at the recent ICRS.
I'd like to point the reef community's attention to a video that was
mentioned in one posting last spring: the Hawaii Reef Etiquette video by
Ziggy Livnat. Available for viewing at www.forthesea.com, this provides
a model of something that, if produced for the Caribbean, could be
valuable on a very wide scale, and potentially used in educating a wide
range of people about the basics of what not to do when you are on a
reef.  My understanding is that this video is shown as a PSA on flights
landing in Hawaii. I think that's genius.

I would think that some organization(s) out there would be interested in
funding this sort of a project to be used in the Caribbean.  Just my two
cents.

Cheers,
Jamie Engman

James Engman, Ph.D.