[Coral-List] Atlantis Dubai whale shark

William Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 09:53:09 EDT 2008

A friend in Dubai has contacted me to express concern about the fate of the
4 m whale shark "rescued" in early September 2008 and since confined to the
aquarium at the Atlantis Hotel in the Palm, Dubai. The explanation offered
to the public for keeping the shark incarcerated is to allow it to
recuperate from stress and for scientific study. Sceptics suspect more
self-interested reasons. The CITES listing of this species is an interesting
wrinkle. Hoping to establish the smoke to fire ratio, I would like to hear
about the pros and cons of this situation from people with professional
experience with whale shark biology, and especially those with arms-length
experience with this particular case.

Bill