[Coral-List] 2. Re: Atlantis Dubai whale shark (Sarah Frias-Torres)

RainbowWarriorsInternational southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 10:28:48 EDT 2008

Here is a neutral point of view on the issue.

The only really justifiable argument to keep animals in captivity is for breeding purposes, to ensure the survival of the species in the wild.

As part of The Ocean Project Rainbow Warriors International has zoos and aquariums for bedfellows, even some which we have heavily criticized in the past for their dealings with captive cetaceans.

In light of the recent IUCN World Conservation Conference at in Barcelona and its conclusions we should focus on mitigating the effects of climate change on species survival chances.

Keeping animals in captivity for display and as tourist attractions should be abolished, if there is no proven scientific program at the facility actually geared at contributing to the survival of the species in the wild.

Cetaceans and ever bigger species of sharks are being kept in captivity for amusement purposes with obvious economic rewards and this should be strongly discouraged.

William Allison <allison.billiam at gmail.com> wrote: Dear Tim,

Please substantiate the allegations made in the first paragraph.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Bill

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 5:58 AM, tim ecott  wrote:

> regarding the whale sharks:
> it is worth noting that contrary to what was reported earlier: the Georgia
> aquarium has not successfully kept two whale sharks alive. they BOTH DIED.
> also they were not captured off Indonesia but in Taiwan and there is some
> controversy over whether they were 'rescued' from fishermen or 'caught to
> order'. Whalesharks almost never survive in captivity - there is one
> aquarium in japan which has managed to keep successive specimens alive.
> in the case of the Dubai whaleshark which was allegedly 'rescued' by
> Atlantis, it is worth noting that the rescue coincided with the opening of
> the Atlantis Palm resort and the hotel pr team has got itself in a real
> muddle over whether or not the shark will be released at some future date.
> the chances of any useful 'research' originating from this capture are, in
> my humble view. very very limited.Tim Ecott is the author of Neutral
> Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World (Penguin) and
>

> 9> ****************************************

Milton Ponson, President
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
(Rainbow Warriors International)
Tel. +297 568 5908
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
Email: southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
Web Sites: http://www.southerncaribbean.org
http://www.rainbowwarriors.net (Global)
http://www.ecoaruba.com (Aruba)

To unite humanity in a global society dedicated to a sustainable way of life