[Coral-List] Corals in the aquarium trade

Eric Borneman eborneman at uh.edu
Tue Oct 21 06:47:25 EDT 2008

Hi Lee and List:

Since my name popped up here, I thought I would weigh in. I have not
followed the whole thread so excuse me if I am off topic in responding
to your post.

I do agree with your assessment. I have a huge ethical problem with
wild coral collection as it currently exists. I might not were I
comfortable with monitoring and sustainability studies, with better
trade practices, with the major players involved in the trade, and the
advancement of a best-practice mariculture industry. As it is,
mariculture is successful and available and supported but has many
problems of its own, mainly within the trade, in terms of the number
of pest species being introduced. Like other aquaculture/mariculture
(e.g. shrimp, salmon), in situ propagation has all too often been
hastily thrown together without much foresight and these will either
remain a blight or eventually be made to work through trial and error
(likely by economic rather than conservationist needs) .

I concede the important role that pubiic aquariums play in education
and ocean literacy, I concede the advances in captive husbandry
attained by professional and amateur aquarists, I concede the
importance of ex situ experimentation now possible due to these
advances, and I concede the significant economic value that
sustainable collection and mariculture can provide.

I also think that most public aquariums could go a long way in
improving their education and displays and that some displays are
tragically awful in concept and execution, while others are
exceptional. I lament that advances in coral husbandry from amateur
aquarists has come at the cost of the often blind, disposable attitude
and practice of trial and error where so many losses could have been
avoided, and that the mass loss rather than the net production that is
possible of corals in the trade is a very sore spot for me.  I writhe
seeing ever present "popular" displays at public aquariums that exist
solely for tourist draw rather than any real need to have them. There
are times when events happen that cause mortality as in the wild, but
there really is little excuse with the information available that even
new aquarists and public aquariums, if educated and guided, shouldn't
be producing and reproducing corals, in their tank from day one,
rather than replacing them because they died. There should be no
excuse for the paucity of advances in actual breeding going on with
marine fishes and other invertebrates. Many of us continue to work
towards this ideal end.

I also concede that despite collection of inappropriate species en
masse for the masses is a waste even if sustainable, that for probably
most species (though not all)  the aquarium trade is not a major
threat to reefs, that the recent mass opening of new areas of harvest
is not really needed or desirable, nor are public aquariums a major
threat. But, this does not mean that we do not each share a
responsibility to ensure that our individual impacts are minimal to
non-existent (and hopefully net positive). There is a common argument
in the aquarium hobby that "in the scheme of things we don't make a
difference," or "compared to pollution/development/food fisheries/
climate change the aquarium trade is meaningless."  True, but the
aquarium hobbyist may not be in a position to make much of an impact
to these large global issues - except by individual action; reducing
carbon footprints, eating from the most sustainable fisheries or lower
on the food chain. And yes, most directly, through their habits as a
hobbyist or professional aquarist. This type of thinking is as
inexcusable as the suburban Hummer owner, or non-recycler, who thinks
they are but one of hundreds of millions and their impact alone makes
no difference.

Finally, I would like to point out the numbers of exports being thrown
out here. These are the numbers that are reported. They do not include
the mortality prior to export. They do not include unreported exports.
They do not include the millions of soft corals, corallimorpharianss,
zoanthids, anemones, and other invertebrates that also contribute to
the diversity and function of reefs. They do not include the millions
of herbivores, both vertebrate and invertebrate, that play
increasingly important key roles on reefs. These are numbers that
should be considered as well, not just the stony corals recorded
because they are CITES organisms.

Eric Borneman
Dept. of Biology and Biochemistry
University of Houston