[Coral-List] Thinking like a coral (or jellyfish)?

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Wed Sep 24 07:45:42 EDT 2008

Hi Tom:

Not sure I agree with your statements.  We are studying coral larvae and settlement/polyp formation.  They are very much radial during larval stage (planulae vs a pluteus or megalops for example), and when they start to form the polyp, all six tentacle buds appear at once.  Not sure about the internal septal formation because that comes very late in Acropora.  They have solid planulae until they morph into early polypoid forms.  In any case, corals don't have any central nervous system, and as far as I kow only a neural net, so they do not have radial thinking which is what Gene would be after.

Regards,

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
UNCW-Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K. Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel: (910)962-2362 & Fax:  (910)962-2410
Cell:  (910)200-3913
email:  szmanta at uncw.edu
Web Page:  http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta