[Coral-List] Aquarius Reef Base update

Ellen Prager pragere at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 1 09:47:55 EDT 2009

Dear Coral List members

Recently a friend and colleague asked me if any research is still
going on at NOAA's Aquarius Reef Base operated by UNCW in Key Largo,
FL still.  I am happy to report that the program is producing
excellent work and last year we saw a full slate of missions and at
least 20 publications based on work at the facility (listed below).

Our mission schedule looks full for the upcoming year as well, with
projects on best practices in coral restoration, ocean acidification
impacts on coral reefs along with further development and testing of
a prototype underwater mass spectrometer, continued work on sponge
dynamics within a changing coral reef ecosystem, and work on
herbivore interaction related to coral recovery.  And we hope that
both the US NAVY and NASA will use the facility for training this
year as well.

We are currently in discussions with our partners at NOAA, with the
Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, and others so as to
disseminate the information coming out of our research to managers
and others that could use it, and to identify topics of priority for
research in the upcoming years if, as we hope, funding is available.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to get in
touch.

Sincerely

Dr. Ellen Prager
Chief Scientist, Aquarius Reef Base
Author, Chasing Science at Sea (2008)
pragere at earthlink.net
www.uncw.edu/aquarius

2008 Publication List, Aquarius Reef Base

(2008). Diversity Of Plant-eating Fishes May Be Key To Recovery Of
Coral Reefs. Science News.

(2008). NOAA supports sound science and effective management for the
conservation and sustainability of deep-sea coral and sponge
ecosystems. N. D.-S. C. Program.

AAAS (2008). “Redwoods of the Reef”. Science. 321: 19.

Auster, P. J. and J. Lindholm (2008). “Variation in social foraging
by fishes across a coral reef landscape”. Proceedings of the 11th
International Coral Reef Symposium, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, 7-11
July 2008.

Bromage, E., L. Carpenter, et al. (2009). "Quantification of coral
heat shock proteins from individual coral polyps." MARINE ECOLOGY
PROGRESS SERIES 376: 123-132.

Burkepile, D. E. and M. E. Hay (2008). "Herbivore species richness
and feeding complementarity affect community structure and function
on a coral reef." PNAS 105(42): 16201-16206.

Fiechter, J., Haus, B.K. et al. (2008). "Physical processes impacting
passive particle dispersal in the Upper Florida Keys." Continental
Shelf Research 28: 1261-1272.

Leichter, J. J., Stokes, M.D. et al. (2008). "Deep water macroalgal
communities adjacent to the Florida Keys reef tract." MARINE ECOLOGY
PROGRESS SERIES 356: 123–138.

López-legentil, S. Song, B et al. (2008). "Bleaching and stress in
coral reef ecosystems: hsp70 expression by the giant barrel sponge
Xestospongia muta." Molecular Ecology, 17: 1840–1849.

McMurray, S. E., Blum, J.E. and J.R. Pawlik (2008). "Redwood of the
reef: growth and age of the giant barrel sponge Xestospongia muta in
the Florida Keys." Marine Biology, 155: 159-171.

McMurray, S. E. and J. R. Pawlik (2008). "A Novel Technique for the
Reattachment of Large Coral Reef Sponges." Restoration Ecology.

Miller, M. (2008). Aquarius Coral Restoration/Resilience Experiment
(ACRRE): 5.

Mohamed, N. M., Colman, A.S. et al. (2008). "Diversity and expression
of nitrogen fixation genes in bacterial symbionts of marine sponges."
Environmental Microbiology.

Mohamed, N.M., Enticknap, J.J. et al. (2008). "Changes in Bacterial
Communities of the Marine Sponge Mycale laxissima on Transfer into
Aquaculture." APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY, 74(4): 1209-1222.

Mohamed, N.M, Mark, V.R. et al. (2008). "Monitoring Bacterial
Diversity of the Marine Sponge Ircinia strobilina upon Transfer into
Aquaculture." APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY, 74(13): 4133-4143.

Schrope, M. (2008). “Sleeping with the fishes”. Nature Climate
Change, 2: 159-160.

Schrope, M. (2009). "The lab at the bottom of the sea." Nature, 457:
141-143.

Southwell, M.W., Popp, B.W. et al. (2008). "Nitrification controls on
fluxes and isotopic composition of nitrate from Florida Keys
sponges." Marine Chemistry 108: 96-108.

Valentine, J.F., Kenneth, J., Heck, I. et al. (2008). "Exploited
species impacts on trophic linkages along reef–seagrass interfaces in
the florida keys." Ecological Applications 18(6): 1501-1515.

Weisz, J. B., Lindquist, N. and C. Martens (2008). "Do associated
microbial abundances impact marine demosponge pumping rates and
tissue densities?" Oecologia 155: 367-376.