[Coral-List] Copenhagen flop: article raises serious question

Susan_White at fws.gov Susan_White at fws.gov
Thu Aug 27 14:54:12 EDT 2009

careful Jim.... Let's make sure 'someone' is advocating for planting
natives.  Many species of bamboo are already highly invasive.

examples in the U.S. :
http://www.invasive.org/eastern/eppc/PHAU1.html

http://www.invasive.org/species/subject.cfm?sub=3057

http://www.invasive.org/weedus/subject.html?sub=3063

Susan White, Superintendent
Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument
><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, National Wildlife Refuge System
300 Ala Moana Blvd.  Rm 5-231, Box 50167
Honolulu, HI  96850
ph:  808/792-9481             fax:  808/792-9585
email:  susan_white at fws.gov
><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>

"Never pretend to be a unicorn by sticking a plunger on your head" -Martin
Espada

Jim Hendee <jim.hendee at noaa.gov>
Sent by: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
08/27/2009 01:21 AM

Arlo Hemphill <arlo at stanford.edu>
cc
"coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov" <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
Subject
Re: [Coral-List] Copenhagen flop: article raises serious question

There are over 2000 species of bamboo, growing (as "runners" and
"clumpers") all over temperate and tropical climates.  A lot have been
imported, but do well.  They are a major source of timber, paper, food,
shelter, furniture and a ton of other things in the East, but the West
hasn't caught on in such a big way.

I'm a US government employee working for NOAA so I can NOT officially
call for an International Plant a Bamboo--Help the Planet Day on June
22, 2010.  I kind of like the idea though... :D

    Cheers,
    Jim

Arlo Hemphill wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I hope these are native bamboo species?
>
> Arlo
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 26, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Jim Hendee <Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Maybe the 10,000 people aren't showing up so they can save on the jet
>> fuel and carbon emissions they'd spew into the atmosphere if they went.
>> I say use the saved money to plant 10,000 bamboo plants in a forest
>> local to the delegates instead, and thereby suck up the 4X CO2 that an
>> equal weight of standard forest would use, and thereby have decades
>> (nay, centuries) of extremely rapid renewable presence all over the
>> globe in honor (and attribution) for the day they didn't show up and
did
>> something constructive instead of posturing and blabbering.
>>
>> Okay, I digressed...But the issue I mean to point out is that it's
>> getting to where some sane application of what we already have instead
>> of talk is something to consider.  Maybe a large answer is right in
>> front of everybody and they don't even see it:
>>
>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo
>>
>> Okay, I'm gone to go plant some seabreeze bamboo (Bambusa malingensis)
>> near the shoreline near the local coral reef...
>>
>>  Jim
>>

>> RainbowWarriorsInternational wrote:
>>> See the article:

http://www.cphpost.dk/news/national/88-national/46609-climate-summit-flop-feared.html
..

>>> Is there a grain of truth to the threat of a flop?
>>>
>>> We know for a fact that e.g. in the Kingdom of the Netherlands,
>>> which consists of the Netherlands, Aruba, and the former Netherlands
>>> Antilles (Bonaire, Curacao, Dutch St.Martin, Saba and St. Eustatia,
>>> aka Statia) ONLY the Netherlands are in compliance with climate
>>> change treaties.
>>>
>>> The
>>> Dutch Caribbean islands like many Caribbean nations are not and make
no
>>> excuse for this, except lack of expertise and government resources.
>>>
>>> What
>>> is the use of tens of thousands of scientists and researchers and NGOs
>>> being on board, if governments in developing nations do not commit
>>> themselves to the cause and even consider NOT showing up in
Copenhagen?