[Coral-List] bamboozles

Les Kaufman lesk at bu.edu
Fri Aug 28 17:39:56 EDT 2009

Hi all.

Biomass absorption of CO2 is great and there are plenty of local
primary producers ready and willing to be encouraged to fix carbon in
large quantities, bamboos and seaweeds only two sorts among them.

If you want to get depressed, read Kim Stanley Robinson's climate
trilogy, and remember that no matter what we pull off in terms of
political will, we will overshoot, and things will get really really
bad.

If you want to feel cheery, stop traveling, keep planting, and make
sure those pesky carbons don't escape so soon from whatever you've so
painstakingly grown without doing some good work first.

Les Kaufman
Professor of Biology
Associate Director
Boston University Marine Program