[Coral-List] impact of snorkelers feeding fish

Brian Reckenbeil breckenbeil at verizon.net
Mon Dec 7 16:28:42 EST 2009

Rob,

I know this is not direct research on your asked topic, but it is my
experience of how it has interrupted my behavioral and observational
research.

While a student at CIEE Research Station Bonaire in the spring of 2008,
http://www.cieebonaire.org/index.html , I conducted independent research on
the Cleaning Activity of Juvenile French Angelfish.  Juveniles of this
species are known to clean other fish when they are young.  I observed and
collected data for 20 minute integrals, which totaled almost 10 hours of
observations of useable data.

I say USEABLE because on at least 3 separate occasions, the same local
resident liked to snorkel with some sort of food in her hands.  She would
always see
me laying nearly motionless in the shallow sandy bottom (6-12ft), with a
clipboard, datasheet and obvious meter stick for measurements.  I believe
she kept wondering what I was doing, since scuba divers are typically seen
swimming along the reef, and not laying still in one spot for a prolonged
period of time.

Every time she swam near, chaos ensued.  Fish immediately stopped their
typical behaviors, and formed like a ball around her.  It reminded me of
watching videos of a group of piranhas attacking prey.  I distinctly
remember a parrotfish, which was stopped at the cleaning station I was
currently observing, quickly leave to go take part in the food frenzy around
this lady.  I saw other fish dart towards her from at least 40-50 feet away.

It appeared that this lady who loved to feed the fish interrupted my studies
almost 10% of the time.  I had a little over 30 sessions of data recordings,
3 of which were not used for this reason, 27 surveys I did use for my
analysis.  It was quite frustrating to have her swim by with food...  I can
not imagine how reef interactions could change if every single snorkeler and
diver brought food out into the water and feed the fish.  I certainly would
not have been able to perform this research has this been the case, as
Bonaire is a major tourism hotspot for reef exploration, and divers were
frequently entering the waters nearby.

For anyone interested further in this, there is a short segment (2 seconds
at time 41sec) where fish are swimming around a girls hand, possibly
thinking they will be fed? in my 60 second video application for the
Australian "Best Job in the World" Island Reef Job Video Application.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjL-CWkBUt4 (I ranked as high as 8th out of
34,000 on most popular page on final day!!)

SWIMcerely,

Brian Reckenbeil
www.linkedin.com/in/brianreckenbeil