[Coral-List] Coral bleaching in American Samoa

Alan Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 7 18:34:51 EST 2009

Thanks for your observations Kelley,

http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/virtual_stations/graphs/vs_multiyear_exp_Tutuila.png

Note above our (CRW) virtual station SST time series for Tutuila (off
Fagatele Bay) over the past decade...this year's SSTs are the line in
solid black.  Although many of the values over this decade have indeed
been running over the climatological mean SSTs (derived from 1985-1993)
they are not yet even close to what we (Coral Reef Watch) would even
warrant issuing a bleaching "watch" or "warning."  What it is likely
that you are seeing are the coral polyps' response to the sun's
increasing energy as it gets progressively higher in the sky each day --
what you are likely seeing is referred to as "paling" and a more normal
response of corals at this time of the year as the SSTs and isolation
ramps upward.

Cheers,
Al

--
Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
 e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5311
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x134               Fax: 301-713-3136
Cell: 410-490-6602