[Coral-List] "Growing" calcium-carbonate reefs

James Cervino PhD. jcervino at whoi.edu
Mon Dec 7 21:25:47 EST 2009

Hi Justin, Please contact Dr Tom Goreau at goreau at bestweb.net

*************************************
Dr. James M. Cervino
Pace University &
Visiting Scientist
Woods Hole Oceanographic Inst.
NYC Address: 9-22 119st
College Point NY NY 11356
Cell: 917-620*5287
************************************

Quoting Justin Enjo <jenjo2008 at my.fit.edu>:

* Coral List,
*
* Short anecdote.  If I put a  metallic structure (underwater in the ocean)
* and apply an electric potential to it (cathode-anode), I can cause
* calcium-carbonate to precipitate out of solution.  In essence, I would be
* "growing" a calcium carbonate reef.  If carbon dioxide is being taking out
* of solution as well, dissolved oxygen levels near the anodic reaction would
* suspect to rise, causing a positive feedback loop for growing my reef.
*
* Can anyone send me peer review journal articles touching on this subject? I
* am looking especially for research into "growing" such reefs.  Does anyone
* have any documented history with this topic they would be willing to share?
*
* -Justin
* Coral-List mailing list
* Coral-List at coral.aoml.noaa.gov