[Coral-List] "Growing" calcium-carbonate reefs

Xinping Hu xhu at uga.edu
Tue Dec 8 12:50:25 EST 2009

Justin,

    Perhaps one of the direct "evidence" for your interested subject can
be found in this paper: Solar-Generated Building Material from Seawater
as a Sink for Carbon by Wolf H. Hilbertz, Ambio
<http://www.jstor.org/action/showPublication?journalCode=ambio>, Vol.
21, No. 2 (Apr., 1992), pp. 126-129). The link is:
http://www.jstor.org/action/showArticleInfo?suffix=4313904&type=ref&seq=1.
    Although by definition, if using CO2 as a reactant, this reaction
takes out CaCO3 as the final product, and the solution will end up with
increased hydrogen ion concentration two times of the lost Ca2+ via
precipitation (charge balance, Ca(2+) + CO2 + H2O --> CaCO3 + 2H(+)).
Thus what you get is acidified seawater. Similarly, known biogenic
carbonate formation processes may all lead to a release of CO2 as
carbonate precipitates. So I would say that the above mentioned paper is
likely a false claim with regard to removing CO2 from the atmosphere by
electrolyzing of seawater, although growing this type of reef may be
feasible provided that water circulation removes the excess acidity
efficiently (also supply you with needed Mg and Ca ions).

Cheers,
Xinping

Message: 4