[Coral-List] Climate talks in the 1970s

Tupper, Mark (WorldFish) M.Tupper at CGIAR.ORG
Sat Dec 19 09:31:45 EST 2009

Hi Ben,

I would say that the cooling theory in the late 70's and early 80's had
nowhere near the level of consensus that global warming has today. Part
of this is because science was much less interdisciplinary in the
1970-80s than it is today. Today on Coral-List we have taxonomists,
physiologists, ecologists, geologists, paleontologists, meteorologists,
climatologists, physical, chemical, biological and geological
oceanographers, economists, sociologists and anthropologists to name
just a few. I'm sure I have left several groups out, so my apologies to
them. All of these people have a deep interest in climate change and the
way it affects biological, physical and social systems. In the 1970's,
the global cooling debate didn't seem to extend much past climate
scientists per se. I'm sure people from other disciplines were very
interested in the outcome of the climate research, as cooling would of
course affect the planet on a global scale. However, there wasn't (from
what I could see as a high school/undergraduate student) the same level
of involvement from other disciplines that we see today with regard to
global warming. But maybe someone older than me would have a different
perspective...

Cheers,

Mark Tupper