[Coral-List] Climate talks in the 1970s

Pam Hallock-Muller pmuller at marine.usf.edu
Sat Dec 19 10:30:19 EST 2009

Ben:

 From this old scientist's perspective, you are absolutely right.  I was
a graduate student in the early-middle1970s and though we were
discussing the "new" theory of plate tectonics (my undergrad geology
professors were still at the polar wandering stage), ecological
energetics, island biogeography, Acanthaster outbreaks, emerging
understanding of El Nino as a global phenomenon, and the environmental
disaster that could be unleashed by a sea level Panama Canal, I only
vaguely recall some mention of global cooling.  Actually, I don't recall
it being discussed then nearly as much as I have heard it discussed
recently.

I wasn't much of a television watcher then (or now for that matter).
However, our grad student groups were always discussing things over a
brew (or other conversation enhancers), and I don't recall global
cooling ever being a conversation topic.

Pamela Hallock Muller, Ph.D., Professor
College of Marine Science
University of South Florida
140 Seventh Ave. S.