[Coral-List] Coral List Issue 6, Vol 9, Topic 3 (Aquarium statistics)

Noah DesRosiers njdesrosiers at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 13:08:12 EST 2009

Tim,

I too am always on the prowl.  I went on a hunt a year or so ago. I found a
note in FAO's SOFIA 2006 about a study in 2000 (?) saying 'world wholesale
value of live freshwater and marine fishes was US $900 million - retail US
$3 billion.'  Better is an excellent production released in 2003 from the
UNEP-WCMC, called "From Ocean to Aquarium."  It tries to sum up marine trade
statistics from importer and exporter data, admittedly coming up short, but
still an excellent start.

It's here for free:
http://www.unep.org/PDF/From_Ocean_To_Aquarium_report.pdf

Also see the Global Marine Aquarium Database mentioned in that publication
here: http://www.unep-wcmc.org/marine/GMAD/index.html
Though I'm not sure when it was last updated...

--
Cheers!
Noah J.D. DesRosiers
njdesrosiers at gmail.com