[Coral-List] CO2 and tropical waters.

Tom Williams ctwiliams at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 22:04:21 EST 2009

Listers

John's email presumes that the CO2 concentrations are constant worldwide...although AtmCO2 losses to OceCO2 in the Aluetian and North Atlantic and circumAntarctica may be higher than those in the tropics.

Interestingly the colder polar waters are getting warmer and especially in the Arctic the transfers may be reducing and thereby maintaining a higher AtmCO2 than may be expected from model. If the oceanic circulation between the Antarctic circumpolar currents decrease due to reducing Olar/Tropic differentials, polar transfers of Atm>OceCO2 may further change the balances as the OCeCO2 may reach saturation more quickly as the water is not descending and drawing in other less saturated waters.

Pre-"Global Warming" Atm/OceCO2 concentration were or have been influenced by the surface ocean, descending (downwelling), and upwelling currents and few models that I have heard of reflect the "sluggish" ocean circulation in horizontal and vertical regimes.

Losses of Arctic pack ice and Antarctic shelf ice will contribute to an even greater variation in current and winds, and temperatures related to albedos which appear to further confuse and confound US.

During Plocene (3-9MY) climates appeared to be more randomized, and present day strongly seasonal climates and stronger ocean currents appear to be retrograding to the Pliocene conditions. They can't get back to those conditions due to existing mountain ranges but climates and current may become more randomized and more weakly defined than in the recent past.

Tom Williams