[Coral-List] Coral bleaching and ocean acidification

Lee Kump lkump at psu.edu
Thu Feb 12 09:13:52 EST 2009

Dear Tom,

Although I agree with much of what you say about warming and
bleaching, you are wrong in assuming that acidification will take
thousands of years to develop. In fact, just the opposite: surface
water acidification is immediate, because the surface ocean is
in intimate contact with the atmosphere, and atmospheric pCO2
is increasing. This can be easily shown both theoretically and
through observation: see for example the review article
by Orr et al. (2005; Nature 437: 681-686) or a nice wikipedia
site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification.

Rapid acidification such as what is occurring now affects surface
waters first, then deep waters, where carbonate dissolution occurs.
Slower additions of CO2, such as those that led to the high atmospheric
CO2 levels of the Cretaceous (100 million years ago) occurred at
such a slow rate that geological processes (e.g., weathering of the
continents) were able to keep the ocean surface waters supersaturated
despite high CO2. Rates matter, as you say, but not in the way you
suggest.

Cheers,

Lee

On Feb 11, 2009, at 7:05 PM, Thomas Goreau wrote:

> Dear Steve,
>
> Don't let these flat earth neanderthals spin this fable without
> looking at the real data. First, the fact that CO2 is a greenhouse gas
> is the result of a fundamental physical law, not a hypothesis to be
> tested. But the details of how fast it warms up depends on the
> dynamics of heat flow in the entire ocean-atmosphere-ice-biosphere
> system, which is very complex with many time scales, the key ones
> taking thousands of years. We have tabulated all of the satellite sea
> surface temperature data for every major coral reef area since 1982,
> and the correlation between bleaching and high temperatures are
> crystal clear. In fact the Goreau-Hayes HotSpot method has
> successfully predicted all major bleaching events since we developed
> it in 1990. We have never received one penny of grant money for this
> work, in fact it was largely suppressed for political reasons, because
> the flat earthers were in charge of the budget. Hopefully that will
> change.
>
> Best wishes,
> Tom
>
> On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:16 PM, Steve Mussman wrote:
>

>> I am constantly in contact with skeptics of anthropologic climate
>> change.I have studied this issue for many years, but as an amateur
>> naturalist, not a scientist.
>>
>> Would you mind answering a few questions about your posting?
>>
>> Are you saying that you find a direct link between tropical surface
>> water temperature increases and atmospheric CO2 levels?
>>
>> If I understand you correctly, you are expressing the concern that
>> we must stabilize CO2 levels in order to control ocean water
>> temperatures and therefore, protect the reef systems from mass
>> bleaching episodes.
>>
>> I am a diver and environmentalist with a particular interest in
>> coral reef ecology. I live in the Atlanta area and often discuss
>> these issues with many divers who think that I'm totally off base by
>> insisting that we are directly affecting our climate by ignoring
>> calls for controls on CO2 and other greenhouse gases. I am told that
>> I have fallen for the hoax that is being perpetrated by scientists
>> who are simply alarmists attempting to increase their grant money.
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Steve
>> sealab at earthlink.net

>>> Biology,
>>> H. M. Lenhoff and L. Muscatine (Eds.), University of Hawaii Press,