[Coral-List] Do corals need fish to remain healthy?

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Fri Feb 20 11:23:57 EST 2009

Hi Gene:

I have been to Smith Bank on the S side of Roatan with the incredible A cervicornis patch a number of times, and have plenty of photo and video documentation.  Harold must not have been paying attention because the place is crawling with both 3-spot damsels and lots and lots of parrotfishes (smaller sizes of course).  Roatan has large schools of grazing/roving surgeon fishes and doctor fishes.  And I have seen large schools of blue parrot fishes as well.  Thus while this may have nothing to do with why this substantial patch of A cervicornis is there, it is incorrect to state there it's there without fishes.  I'd attach photos if Coral-List allowed and don't have time just now to post any photos or video to my web page.

My concern about this particular site is that it is fairly close to shore and right next to a shipping channel used by large cruise ships, and a new cruise ship dock has just been built near it.  It could all be gone with one steering mishap.  Someone/some organization needs to step in to somehow better mark it and make sure it does not get flattened.

There is a similarly impressive stand of A palmata in the Rincon are of Puerto Rico, and it is alive and will with big schools of grazers.  There are lots of sexual recruits at this site.  It is a protected area near a beach, and the biggest threat is unbridled major development and sediment near the site.

Cheers,

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
UNCW-Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K. Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel: (910)962-2362 & Fax:  (910)962-2410
Cell:  (910)200-3913
email:  szmanta at uncw.edu
Web Page:  http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta