[Coral-List] Securing markers on permanent transects

Helen Sykes helenthereef at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 17:28:09 EST 2009

HI Rashad.

I find steel bar markers diffcult to install, unsightly in tourism areas and
potentially dangerous on shallow reef flats.

I cable tie fishing floats onto the reef substrate, and tag every 5 or 10
metres along the transect with cable ties with the staight ends left
sticking out.

Over time these become covered with coralline algae and so less visible to
the eye who is not looking for it, but are still obvious enough to the
trained surveyor laying a line.  So far these have remained on the reefs for
over 8 years if carefully situated in none-brittle areas.

Cattle tags work well too, and can be marked with marker pen.

Helen

Helen Sykes

Director

marine ecology
Fiji's leading company for Coastal & Marine Ecology Assessments

Fiji Coordinator
GCRMN and Reef Check

PO Box 2558, Govt Buildings
Suva, Fiji Islands