[Coral-List] Coral diseases and algae

Jack Sobel jack_sobel at verizon.net
Mon Feb 23 17:39:31 EST 2009

Gene Shinn's initial posting on this topic and the responses from Alina
Szmant and Tom Goreau to it inspired me to acquire and read the recent
article titled, "Macroalgae Has No Effect on the Severity and Dynamics of
Caribbean Yellow Band Disease." (Ivana Vu et. al, 2009, published in PloS
Feb 09 Vol 4 Issue).  While I agree that it is a worthwhile contribution to
this subject and to the literature, it is hardly a refutation of the
well-documented concept that removing fish and invertebrates that eat
macroalgae, can lead to proliferation of macroalgae, which in turn can lead
and/or contribute to a decline in coral health. This concept is hardly
rocket science and should be viewed as acting synergistically with other
impacts rather than exclusive of them.

Despite the unfortunate title of this article, it provides no proof that
fish and invertebrate removal, resulting in macroalgal proliferation, is not
a contributor to the decline in coral reef health.  Nor does it even prove
that such removal plays no role in Caribbean yellow band disease (YBD)
outbreaks or proliferation, let alone any other disease impacts. Tom
Goreau's prior response touched on some of the evidence for links to other
diseases.  However, even with respect to YBD, there are limits to what you
can conclude about the role of fishing based on this study.

To their credit, the authors of the study recognized some of their study's
limitations. They certainly recognized that their study precluded contact
between the macroalgae and the coral being studied, and that previously
documented "negative algal effects in natural settings are due to abrasion,
shading, overgrowth, and other related mechanisms". They deliberately did
not focus on such mechanisms, but rather on the roles of benthic macroalgae
"acting as pathogen reservoirs or vectors or by increasing dissolved organic
carbon (DOC)."

In their study, they showed that although the algal treatments increased DOC
in the immediate vicinity of the algal packets, this increase was localized
and could not be detected nearby at the corals being studied.  Can we rule
out a DOC mechanism, if the treatment did not raise DOC around the corals?
They clearly recognize this limitation in their discussion where they argue
that "Understanding the role of these and other environmental factors in
regulating a mechanistic link between algae and DOC is clearly an important
(and neglected) step in understanding what effects macroalgae might have on
corals on coral disease via DOC release."

Similarly, with respect to "the role of benthic macroalgae acting as
pathogen reservoirs or vectors", the experimental design may have also
limited the ability to pick up such a role by (1) preventing contact between
the macroalgae and corals and (2) refreshing the algae to prevent
senescence, etc.

So, I think I would agree with Gene that additional research is needed in
this area, but I think it would be premature to conclude that removing fish
and invertebrates from coral reefs is not having an impact on coral reef
health, given the large amount of evidence supporting this "mantra", or even
to conclude that it is not playing a role in disease generation and/or
proliferation.

Jack Sobel
4910 Earlston Drive
Bethesda, MD  20816