[Coral-List] Marine Protected Areas, fish, corals, algae, and diseases

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Tue Feb 24 14:07:30 EST 2009

John makes a very important point about the failure of marine
protected areas to protect corals, and indeed every marine protected
area I go to is full of dead or dying corals, being killed by factors
they cannot control.

But the argument may also apply to fish according to a very
interesting paper:
Jones, McCormick, Srinivasan, and Eagle, 2004, Coral declines
threatens fish biodiversity in marine reserves, PNAS 101:8251-8253
They showed that "protected" areas and open entry fishing areas had
equal declines in coral cover and in fish diversity.

This study was done in Papua New Guinea, and coincidentally James
Cervino and I had shortly before done a study of coral and sponge
diseases in the same area. What we found was that the "protected" and
"fished" reefs studied by Jones et al. were both fringing reefs along
the coast, and they were very severely impacted by fresh water, mud,
sewage, fertilizers, and agricultural chemicals brought in by the
rivers, that they had very high levels of coral disease, and very high
levels of weedy algae overgrowth on corals. Yet in contrast the reef
corals and fish were much better, and the algae far less, on the
inshore slope of an offshore bank reef only a hundred meters or so
offshore, far better still on the open side of that bank, and still
finer on the open ocean pinnacle reefs. Because the local fishermen
cannot afford boats, they only harvest the fringing reefs and cannot
get to reefs only a hundred meters offshore. But the impression given
by the algae abundance and coral health was that when corals declined
due to eutrophication, the fish vanished with them, whether protected
or not.

So to turn John's circular reasoning a step further, if we want to
protect fish, the first thing to protect is the corals!

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance
Coordinator, United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development
Partnership in New Technologies for Small Island Developing States
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge MA 02139
617-864-4226
goreau at bestweb.net
http://www.globalcoral.org