[Coral-List] Securing markers on permanent transects

Doc Radawski docradawski at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 16:24:53 EST 2009

Hi Don,

"In Australia, we call these posts "star pickets". To hammer them into the
ground use a star picket driver which is a section of steel pipe, closed at
one end, which is put over the picket like a sleeve. This is far more
convenient than swinging a hammer. You can purchase these ready-made,
weighted and with handles, at any store selling rural supplies.

In the US, there is a similar post called a 'T' Post."

This came from:
http://www.advancedroadsigns.com.au/Star_Picket_1350mm_pack_of_5_p/star-1350pk5.htm

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_post

In the past,, where there is dead or diseased coral heads I have drill a
hole in the coral, then  anchored the tag with a stud anchor.

See: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/guideBrowse.shtml

This worked reasonably well, except with time they got overgrown and were
sometimes difficult to find.

Hope this helps.

Doc Radawski
www.cocoviewresort.com