[Coral-List] Securing markers on permanent transects

Doc Radawski docradawski at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 16:24:53 EST 2009

Hi Don,

"In Australia, we call these posts "star pickets". To hammer them into the
ground use a star picket driver which is a section of steel pipe, closed at
one end, which is put over the picket like a sleeve. This is far more
convenient than swinging a hammer. You can purchase these ready-made,
weighted and with handles, at any store selling rural supplies.

In the US, there is a similar post called a 'T' Post."

This came from:

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_post

In the past,, where there is dead or diseased coral heads I have drill a
hole in the coral, then  anchored the tag with a stud anchor.

See: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/guideBrowse.shtml

This worked reasonably well, except with time they got overgrown and were
sometimes difficult to find.

Hope this helps.

Doc Radawski

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Behringer,Donald C,JR <behringer at ufl.edu>wrote:

> Hi Chris,
> Re star pickets:  They seem to be an AU phenomenon as a web search yielded
> almost exclusively AU websites (or Chinese manufacturers). Any idea who
> might carry them in the US? Are they perhaps called something else here?
> If they're easier than the rebar I've been using then they're worth a go.
> Thanks,
> Don
> _______________________________________________
> Coral-List mailing list
> Coral-List at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
> http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/mailman/listinfo/coral-list

More information about the Coral-List mailing list