[Coral-List] Best practice for LIT surveys

William Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 17:27:35 EST 2009

I have tested every survey methods I use for comparability, efficiency and
effectiveness. My general approach resembles that described by Les. For my
line intercept and point transects I use a fiberglass tape anchored as often
as necessary to stabilize it and kept as level and as straight at possible
and with no bends between stakes. I am very careful to accurately re-situate
transect lines when I do repeat surveys and I use a plumb-bob (1 cm diam at
the top and ~6 cm long, tapering to a sharp point). Repeated tests of this
approach show high repeatability for individual colonies and sensitivity to
a change of a few percent for the whole transect. This is is possible
because the line is in the same place each time (not the same general place,
not more or less the same deployment but the same deployment), and parallax,
sighting eye and other perceptual and cognitive biases are largely
controlled. Even with substantial surge results are much more repeatable
than surveys done with the un-aided eye or than surveys done with a chain or
similar method. When the sessile benthos constitutes a mosaic of small
items, the line intercept transect is inherently unsuitable for the task.
For such a benthic situation combined with surge it is not worth the bother
to do a line intercept survey of any sort. Under these circumstances a point
transect with a plumb-bob is provides reasonable results - the plumb-bob is
dropped at a designated point on the line and what is hits is recorded. In
effect the surge adds an element of latteral randomness and it becomes a
point survey along a belt transect.

Bill