[Coral-List] Best practice for LIT surveys

William Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 09:54:25 EST 2009

Clarification

Vera and I seem to be talking about two different aspects of LIT surveys.

If I understand her methods correctly, Vera's results reflect variation
among contiguous but *spatially distinct samples* (ten sections of a 50 m
transect).

In contrast, my results reflect variation among *repeat surveys of the
"same" spatial location* (i.e., transects re-set as closely as possible in
the same location, using the same stakes etc each time). My results
demonstrate that repeat LIT surveys results can be both accurate and
precise, with very high statistical power, if transect lines are re-deployed
with care and surveyed using a plumb-line (1999 International Conference on
Scientific Aspects of Coral Reef Assessment, Monitoring, and Restoration,
NOVA, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, poster and oral presentations). Such repeat
LIT surveys can be useful for detecting change over time, require about 30
minutes per 10 m, have low capital costs and do not depend on expensive gear
that can cease to function (or worse) in the field or lab.

Vera, I am interested to know what roughly was the average slope of the reef
with respect to the horizontal and if your quadrats were set horizontal to
or in conformity to that slope.

Sincerely,
Bill