[Coral-List] Cooling reefs to prevent bleaching

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Sat Jan 10 14:56:03 EST 2009

Pumping water from below the thermocline to protect corals from
bleaching seems to have become something of a fad lately, but this is
very easily seen to be untenable. If the temperature differential
between surface and deep waters is 10 degrees C, and coral reefs are
elevated by 1 degree C above their bleaching thresholds, then one
needs to pump enough water to mix at least 10% deep water into surface
waters to get temperatures down to safe levels, but it needs to be
understood that this implies a very large vertical flux because
surface waters are not static, that is to say the water being pumped
up must be at least 10% of all horizontal wind, wave, tidal, and
current driven transport of surface waters at the site. However, deep
waters in the Caribbean contain nutrient concentrations around 30
times the eutrophication thresholds for coral reefs, and deep
IndoPacific waters about 60 times these levels, so even if there are
ZERO nutrients in surface waters (that is, places lacking ANY land
based sources of nutrients), then only a 3.3% mixture of deep
Caribbean waters or a 1.6% mixture of deep IndoPacific waters would
trigger massive benthic algae blooms, and if there are any land based
sources of nutrients the mixtures must be considerably smaller.
Therefore one can't protect HotSpots from bleaching by artificial
upwelling unless you want to smother the corals with weedy algae.
These algal blooms are well known to follow cold water upwelling
events, and have been especially well documented in reef locations
with high upwelling such as the Gulf of Elat/Aqaba, the Arabian Gulf,
Houtman Abrolhos, Lord Howe Island, Galapagos, and high algae reefs on
remote uninhabited islands across the Central Pacific with very
shallow thermoclines.

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance
Coordinator, United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development
Partnership in New Technologies for Small Island Developing States
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge MA 02139
617-864-4226
goreau at bestweb.net
http://www.globalcoral.org