[Coral-List] disease research

thinesh thina.sathesh at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 02:39:32 EST 2009

Dear all,

Greetings. I am Thinesh a marine biologist/ecologist from India. I am
currently doing my doctoral research at the below mentioned institute on
coral diseases in the Gulf of Mannar coral reef ecosystem, south east India.

I have monitored the reefs in the area for the past one year and my study so
far indicates that disease prevalence was found to be higher shallow water
area when compared with deeper waters. Some diseases commonly encountered
where pink spot and white plague disease which was dominent in Porites
species, white band disease was in Montipora digitata. Amomg the diseases
white band disease spread fast  when compared with other diseases,and the
infected colony more often was found dead . Corals affected with white
plague recovered when the normal condition was achieved. Black band disease
mortality was 3cm per month in the Acropora cytheria..
I am now keen to focus my study on spreading ratio for all type of coral
diseases.

I am writing to request members of the list server with experience in
working on coral reef diseases from other parts of the world to kindly help
me in refining and further analysing my work. I would also appreciate if you
could share your publications and literature and also would appreciate all
possible advice and suggestions.

--
T.Thinesh
Ph.D.Research scholar