[Coral-List] Overfishing contributing to ocean acidification

Gene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Thu Jan 22 15:59:59 EST 2009

Doug and John, Yes, I remember the paper you mentioned and  checked
with a well respected  CO2 and the carbon cycle chemist. In addition,
I talked with other marine scientists and they agree. Precipitation
of calcium carbonate to form coral skeletons should release CO2 into
the ocean (enhances acidification of the water) as does precipitation
of ooid sand and precipitation of calcium carbonate to form milky
patches of water  known as whitings. In conclusion it appers that all
of these natural processes contribute to ocean acidification?
Presents a dilemma does it not? Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor