[Coral-List] Overfishing contributing to ocean acidification

Douglas Fenner dfenner at blueskynet.as
Sun Jan 25 16:18:28 EST 2009

I don't think fish gut rocks present a dilemma.  Fish have probably been
doing this for
many millions of years, and the other processes have as well.  So they are
not a cause for any change in pH now.  (production of ooids and whitings in
shallow water might decrease due to acidification in the future, since it
would reduce the calcium saturation state.)  The
fact that fishing has removed some fish could reduce the acid produced by
fish, but overfishing would not be a good way to try to stop acidification
of
the oceans due to rising CO2 in the atmosphere, I hope nobody will seriously
advocate that.  May be that only some fish produce gut rocks, as Alina
Szmant pointed out.  Depletion of many fish stocks is already occuring, and
it
hasn't stopped acidification of the ocean.  Much better to go directly to
the cause of the problem, the production of billions of tons of CO2 gas by
humans.   -Doug