[Coral-List] Lionfish in Puerto Rico

Steve LeGore slegore at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 31 12:49:56 EST 2009

A friend, a marine ornamental fish collector, tells me he captured a lionfish in Bahia Montalvo adjacent to one of the mid-bay mangrove islands on Saturday, January 17th.  The water was about 6 ft deep and the 5.5 inch-long fish was found in a grass bed with mud bottom.

The catch has been reported to local NOAA folks, who visited and photographed the fish, and who were scheduled to visit the site for taking GPS coordinates, so I assuem a more formal report will be forthcoming.

Steve

Steve LeGore, Ph.D.
LeGore Environmental Associates, Inc.
2804 Gulf Drive N.
Holmes Beach, Florida 34217 USA
Executive Director,
Association of Marine Laboratories of the Caribbean
Tel: 941/778-4650
Fax: 941/778-4761
Cell: 941/447-8010
GMT + 4 hrs