[Coral-List] Long-term DNA storage

Ray Berkelmans r.berkelmans at aims.gov.au
Thu Jul 2 23:53:48 EDT 2009

Dear colleagues

I'd love to hear thoughts and experience on the best way to store
coral/zoox tissue samples and DNA for the long-term (50+ yrs). We
currently store our tissue samples in 100% ethanol, but find it much
harder to extract DNA as time goes by (only a few yrs).  While there are
ways of improving extraction, it would appear that ethanol-storage of
coral samples may not be ideal. Are there better storage media? What
about for extracted DNA?

Ray

The information contained in this communication is for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
information which is the subject of legal privilege and/or copyright.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
sender by return email and delete the transmission, together with any
attachments, from your system. Thank you.