[Coral-List] PQ Camera Model

Ron Kirby Manit rk.manit at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 22:59:19 EDT 2009

*Several weeks ago we posted a question to this community about possible
methodological issues associated with upgrading our camera equipment for our
coral reef long-term monitoring program (“PQ” for photoquadrat). **We
received a lot of helpful advice, and we thought we might post a short
follow-up question (along with our appreciation). *

**

*Again, we are a small marine conservation NGO conducting research on marine
protected areas in the central Philippines, with a small team of marine
biologists. We piloted our photoquadrat (“PQ”) method in 2007 to replace our
older line-intercept method. At each survey site, this PQ method uses 10
haphazardly laid 25 m transects, with photos taken every 1 m along the
transect. We plan to conduct PQ once a year at these sites, all of which are
shallow (~3-4 m depth) with some turbidity.
*

* *

*We were hoping someone in this community of researchers might be able to
recommend a good camera model for us to purchase. We are basing our choice
on (a) value (given a semi-modest budget) (b) durability and long-life (this
is long-term monitoring after all), (c) good battery life, and (d) any other
features, methodological or otherwise, you may have found useful. *

* *

*Keep in mind we are in the Philippines, so we would probably need to limit
our options to what could be procured locally. We are especially interested
in purchasing a SONY camera since they have a service center nearby.*

**

*We would appreciate any advice this community can offer.*
Thanks all and More Power