[Coral-List] Coral Bleaching in St Croix, USVI, Caribbean

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 20 12:42:58 EDT 2009

A reminder to everyone: Please report bleaching events (or non-events)
at: http://www.reefbase.org/contribute/bleachingreport.aspx

Thanks,
Mark

On Jul 17, 2009, at 2:34 PM, MelissaE Keyes wrote:

> Hello, Listers,
>
> Yesterday I noticed one Siderastrea siderea that has turned about
> half-way to blue from brown.
>
> I also saw one small Diploria strigosa that was an odd grayish
> white.  Not like the clear snow white of 2005 bleaching colors.  I
> believe it's still alive.
>
> I've started a bleaching file of photos of each of them.  The sea is
> quite warm, although I haven't a thermometer right now.
>
> I could build a blog of these photos if anyone is interested in
> following this series that's just beginning.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Melissa E. Keyes

> Melissa E. Keyes
>
> St. Croix,
>
> U.S.Virgin Islands
>
> http://coralreefpainter.blogspot.com/

C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5308
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x109                   Fax: 301-713-3136

"Together, we must confront climate change by ending the world's
dependence on fossil fuels, by tapping the power of new sources of
energy like the wind and sun, and calling upon all nations to do their
part. And I pledge to you that in this global effort, the United
States is now ready to lead."
Barack Obama, Apr. 5 2009