[Coral-List] Turtle program intern wanted URGENT
info at statiapark.org
Wed Jul 29 12:29:12 EDT 2009
The St. Eustatius National Parks Foundation Sea Turtle Program announces
an urgent vacancy for an intern for the Sea Turtle Program. Pease see
job description below.
St. Eustatius Sea Turtle Intern Position
.. 2/3 Night patrols with volunteers and 2/3 morning survey patrols on
one main nesting beach through the week.
.. Must be physically fit and able to lift 50+ lbs. The applicant should
be able to walk on soft, sandy beaches throughout the night sometimes in
arduous weather conditions.
.. Assist in training for each new group of volunteers and local volunteers.
.. Must be able to competently execute PIT and back-flipper tagging.
.. Collection of field data, including nesting sheets, exhumation sheets
and data entry.
.. Aid in the collection of in-water sea turtle population data.
.. Monitor nests throughout the season.
.. Maintain all equipment such as PIT tags, turtle bag and truck
.. Be on call as backup in case an emergency arises.
.. Sea Turtle conservation education to the community of various
.. Responsible for implementation, completion and reporting on individual
research project within the programme
1. Field experience with sea turtles on a nesting beach A MUST
(leatherback, green or hawksbill)
2. Preferably 21 y/o with a degree or working towards a degree in the
Natural Sciences and interest in conservation.
3. English speaker.
4. Scuba PADI certified or equivalent. Rescue Diver is preferred but not
required as it can be obtained here at applicant's own expense.
5. The applicant should possess previous experience working with
volunteers or volunteer work.
6. Also able to communicate to people of different nationalities
7. Good organizational skills
8. Ability to work as a team but also able to work independently
9. Applicant must possess a valid driver's license
10. Some data entry and analysis experience
11. CPR/ First Aid certified is preferred but not required
12. Previous travel experience
Timing: Preferably beginning August 2009 for 4 months
If interested please send letter of motivation plus resume including 1
academic and 1 non-academic reference (email contact) to Jessica Berkel,
Sea Turtle Program Coordinator, at info at statiapark.org.
All inquiries and requests for more information can be directed to the
info@ address as well.
Ms. Jessica Berkel
Sea Turtle Conservation Program Coordinator
Assistant to Marine Park Manager
St. Eustatius National Parks Foundation (STENAPA)
St. Eustatius, Netherlands Antilles
Tel/Fax: +599 318 2884
email: info at statiapark.org
More information about the Coral-List