[Coral-List] Introducing Coral Reef Research @ eco resort north of Jakarta, Indonesia

United Adventures unitedadventures at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 12 16:22:10 EDT 2009

Warm greetings from Tiger Island Village & Eco Resort :~)

We are a small set of islands in the 'thousand island' region about 45 nautical miles north of Jakarta, Indonesia (the capital and a city of 12 million or so). Surprisingly, many reefs are in good condition here.  Our house reef is better, some say, than anything they've seen in the Maldives or even in Hawaii.  And yet we're only 1.5 hrs by speed boat from one of the largest and most polluted cities in the world.  The diversity in our waters is amazing.  Every time I snorkel, and it's been hundreds of times, I see a new species.

The focus of our 'eco' resort has multiple objectives (see: www.pulaumacan.com), one of which is studying the health and growth possibilities of coral reefs.  We have installed a Biorock project, and a control with an un-electrified biorock structure.  We are also deploying a local technology, which simply involves using dead coral blocks to plant small branches of live coral with a cement and a salt adhesive.

We would wholeheartedly welcome coral researches to join us in our endeavor to examine the health of our reefs and help us formulate our scientific programs for middle, highschool, and university students.  We currently collaborate with some of the best middle and highschool institutions in the country and have a serious commitment to restoring health, productivity, and biodiversity to the reefs in our region and around the archipelago.

One of the interesting questions to consider is how these reefs survive so well in waters that are exposed to one of the most polluted cities in the world, and in waters that can get as warm as bath water.

We are looking forward to collaborating with you, and thank the founders of this forum for creating such a service.  Please contact me at unitedadventures at yahoo.com and know that we are very interested in coral reef research projects at our little paradise and would wholeheartedly welcome researchers and coral reef enthusiasts to collaborate with us.

Warm regards,

Roderick des Tombe
Pulau Macan ~ Tiger Islands Village & Eco Resort
United Adventures ~ Eco Adventure Travel around Indonesia
unitedadventures at yahoo.com
Tel/Fax: +62 21 765 8010
Mobile:  +62 818 0880 0008

      New Email addresses available on Yahoo!