[Coral-List] Coral polyp identification (organism of unknown identity)

Diego Fernando Lozano Cortés di8go11 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 23 15:20:40 EDT 2009

Hi Donald,
Thank you very much for your help and interest. Until now I had received two responses. Ron Karlson who thinks it's a hydrozoan actinula larva, and Gustav Paulay who thinks it's an anemone (and not a hydrozoan because of the pharynx that is visible in the photo). At the moment I have no data on the size of the organism, but this was collected in a trawl from a depth of 30 meters to surface.

Link: http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/carlosgm/Polipo-Gorgona2006.jpg

Thank you very much.
Cheers!

Diego Fernando Lozano-Cortés
Senior Biology Student
Universidad del Valle
Cali, Colombia (Southamerica)
Coral Reef Ecology Research Group
di8go11 at hotmail.com

“Si quiere conocer el océano Pacífico.. vaya a Chile Si quiere conocer el océano Atlántico.. vaya a Jamaica. Si quiere conocer los Andes americanos.. vaya a Bolivia. Si quiere conocer las llanuras del Orinoco... vaya a Venezuela. Si quiere conocer las selvas del Amazonas... vaya a Brasil. Si quiere conocer las culturas precolombinas... vaya a México. Pero si quiere conocer todo ello junto... venga a Colombia.”